Pot Au Feu - Beef Topside, Poussin & Bacon
- 1 Poussin
- 300 g Beef topside (cut into 4 x slices)
- 300 g Pancetta (cooked variety - cut into 4 x slices) or use some of the Ham Hock from the stock
- 200 g Beef marrowbone (cut into 4 x 1” pieces)
- 15 ptns Smoked ham stock (see recipe below)
- 600 g Carrots (peeled, left whole)
- 400 g Turnips (peeled, left whole)
- 4 sticks Celery (peel off stringy side, left whole)
- 400 g Leeks (washed well, remove roots, left whole)
- 1/3rd head Savoy cabbage (cut into 4 x wedges – stalk intact)
- 400 g New waxy potatoes (peeled, left whole)
- 150 ml Single UHT cream
- 20 g Picked tarragon leaves
- 140 g Green herb mustard
- 140 g Cornichons
Prep the poussin by removing the wing tips, shin bones and wish bone.
Bring the ham stock to the boil, place the poussin, beef and all the vegetables except the potatoes in the pot, bring back to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1 hour, add the potatoes, simmer gently until everything is cooked. Remove the pot from the heat.
When cooled remove the meat and vegetables from the stock, trim the vegetables into shapes and sizes as required i.e. cut carrots into slices or lozenges etc. cabbage can be kept in a wedge best as possible.
Cut the poussin into four portions and set on a tray with the slices of beef, slices of pancetta, the bone marrow and the pieces of each of the vegetables. Keep the stock for reheating and for the sauce when you want to serve.
To serve, reheat enough of the stock to over cover the meat and vegetables when they’re added (you can freeze the rest for another day), check seasoning and adjust if required. Carefully add the meat and vegetable to the hot stock, simmer for approx 8 mins, remove with a slotted spoon and arrange the vegetables and meat into hot serving bowls.
Add the cream and tarragon leaves to the stock, taste, season again if required, bring back to the boil and spoon hot over the meat and vegetables.
Serve with small pots of herb mustard and cornichons.
Smoked Ham Stock
- 150 g Smoked ham hock
- 10 g Mirepoix (carrot, onion, leek, stick celery, garlic)
- 1 each White peppercorn
- 5 g Parsley stalks
- 350 ml Water (cold)
Place all ingredients in a large pan and cover with the water (2 inch over meat).
Bring to the boil and skim off any scum that rises to the top, turn the temperature down and simmer for approx. 2 hours.
Strain the stock, chill and refrigerate ready for use.