How to Prepare a Gammon Joint
Posted Wednesday 10th February 2021
Our hams (cooked and off the bone) are cured using the finest English outside-reared pork. These beautiful hams make a wonderful alternative or addition to roast meats on your table. Our Gammons are green, cured, uncooked and off the bone.
Weigh your Gammon to calculate cooking times.
- Put the meat in a large pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil, adding any flavourings you may wish e.g. cinnamon, bay, peppercorns, coriander seeds and onion.
- Cook for 30 mins per 450g/1lb, periodically skimming and discarding any white froth that comes to the surface.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the stock, drain, then chill, serve as required.
If baking your Gammon continue as follows;.
- Drain, reserving the stock if you like, leave to cool a little. Remove the top layer of skin, leaving a thin layer of fat around the meat.
- Score the fat, then brush with the glaze of your choice – a mixture of maple syrup and coarse-grain mustard is good. You can stud the fat with cloves too.
- Place in a foil-lined roasting tin and bake at 220C/fan 200C for 20-30 mins (based on a 5kg ham) or until the glaze is golden